A Japanese Halloween

October 30th, 2010 smmerc12

Japan decided to celebrate Halloween with a Typhoon! As I write, it’s pitch black at 6pm and rain is coming down in buckets and gathering on my little balcony. This does not dampen determined spirits; Halloween parties go on as they do in the United States: costumes, candy and loud music. The only major difference I note is the lack of trick or treating, though apparently it exists in Hokkaido (northern Japan). Instead of saying trick or treat, they say “Give me the candle.” I tried to find out why, but met with little success.

Over the last few weeks, my life has been a never ending flurry of activity. Whether I have class or not, I’m usually at school 6-7 days a week because of club activities. I joined Aikido (Japanese martial arts) and SISEC (a group for ryuugakusei [exchange students] and Japanese students to mingle). Both of these clubs are selling things at the Sophia School Festival. The Sophia Festival is a three day break (this Mon-Wed), during which the school gets together and celebrates/puts on fundraisers for clubs.

Aikido is making okonomiyaki, which is kind of like a pancake with everything you could possibly want and more inside of it.

SISEC is making Tapiyoka bubble tea. It’s absolutely delicious!

Wish me luck in assisting them!

<3

Sara

2 Responses to “A Japanese Halloween”

1. aikido is a martial art with great potential – every person should learn at least one martial art 🙂

2. SHOP ELECTRONICS!!! says:

**YOUTUBE VIDEO REVIEWS ON THE HOTTEST ELECTRONICS OUT**…

#1 SITE FOR THE LATEST REVIEWS ON THE HOTTEST TECHNOLOGY HITTING THE MAINSTREAM!…